In the previous article Building a Team, you will get the definition of a team. The reason you need a team, the steps to build a team, and how to find incredible team members. After going through that, you will have a better understanding of team types and dynamics.
There are three types of roles assumed by team members. They are:
- Product Developers: Just as the title implies, they are in charge of developing the product. How do they do this? They develop new products or improve other existing products to suit the needs/taste of the customers. They tend to work with other team members to develop products that will meet both market and production conditions.
- Sales Individuals: They are in charge of making sales and closing sales deals. How do they do this? They pitch the product’s value to target customers and then draft contracts and agreements to close the deals.
- Operations Individuals: These individuals ensure that the business runs smoothly. They do this by working with the product developers to strategize; make decisions to drive product, product launch, and keep track of users statistics when the product launches. They also work with the salespersons to come up with a marketing strategy.
Type of Teams
There are different types of teams.
- Project Team: This team is created from groups of employees working together to achieve a set goal. Responsibilities and deadlines are assigned to team members. This team is of four types:
- Functional Teams: They are permanent team members. They consist of members within the same department but have different duties. The one who leads the team is responsible for everything and everyone reports to him.
- Cross-functional Team: Members from different departments make up this team. They focus on specific tasks that demand different thoughts and experiences. They complete tasks faster and they manage a wide range of projects.
- Contract Team: It is a contract that binds this team. They are contracted to handle a part of a project. The completion of the project marks the end of the contract.
- Matrix Team: Two managers rule this type of team. That means that an employee has to report to different managers for different work aspects.
- Virtual Team: These team members work remotely in their respective physical locations. The team works based on three dimensions. Time (when they work), space (where they work), and culture (how they work or whom they work for). They make use of technology and collaborative tools to accomplish set goals.
- Operation Team: They assist other types of teams. Their major duty is to ensure that every aspect goes smoothly to promote the business.
- Self-managed Team: This team has no authority figure nor manager. They are all employees of the same organization. They work together to achieve a common goal. Also, they decide the rules and tend to solve problems. They designate responsibilities to achieve set goals.
Definition of Team Dynamics
Team technology defines it as:
the unconscious, psychological forces that influence the direction of a team’s behaviour and performance.Team Technology
Team dynamics are formed due to the nature of the team’s work. The different types of personalities within the team, the environment the team works, and the team’s relationship with other people.
Simply put team dynamics as “those psychological forces influencing the direction of your team’s performance and behavior” (Notre Dame Resources).
You must be an effective leader, meet with your team regularly, and address issues on time to avoid having a team with poor dynamics. You can also introduce team-building activities to avoid having a team with poor dynamics.
Team Building Activities
One of the importance of having team-building activities is to strengthen the team. They bond and so work together without tension. There are several types of team activities you can introduce to your team. You can choose from; board games, bowling, treasure hunt, cooking, workshops, community service, and many more. Before you decide on any, make sure you determine the ones that will suit everyone.
You will get deep insights into this course when you enroll in BizSkills Academy.